Classes are over















NEXT CLASS

Semester Over
It was Fun and I hope
you learned something
in this class. Review this blog in 2033
and see if we were right.


Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Bye Bye Land Line Phones?


By: Edwin Dodson

With technology constantly evolving, we are more seeing items that we grew up on depreciate in value and usefulness such as a landline and home phone. I know many of us grew up in a home in which the house phone was the primary source of communication with others. With the advancements in technology, home phones are becoming rare in the world today. Professor Sistrunk lectured today on an alternative to landline phones, which is more affordable and easily accessible. 



Magic Jack is a common alternative for landline phones. As long as you have Internet services, you will always have a phone. The great things include that you can keep your own phone number, forward calls, and many other features for an extremely cheap cost. There are many other alternatives similar to Magic Jack such as Google Talk, Skype, and the list goes on and on.












Here can find more information on Google Talk


When the world becomes completely wireless and the internet is available every where for free or at a low cost, cell phone companies will be the next to go!  We are constantly improving technology and looking for cheaper ways of getting the same product. This is one heck of a solution to the person who is tired of landline services and high phone bills just to name a few. What do you think? How long will landlines remain in use, especially since the introduction of Google fiber cables? How long will cell phone companies be around? Please share you thoughts!


10 comments:

  1. I agree with you Mr. Dodson, Technology is skyrocketing in advancements and Communication seems to evolve just as fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when very few people had a cell phone, and if they did it was only for emergency purposes. I have had the opportunity of watching technology evolve from the bulky NOKIA cellular phones to now making phone calls using the internet without having a wireless cell hone provider and making video phone calls. I cant wait until the world is wireless and cell phone expenses are no longer, I give it 15 years .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same thing about two years ago but in all honesty as long as the baby boomer generation still lives, there will be land lines as they somehow feel this innate need for a land line. But simultaneously, I can't knock them for believing in land lines as my father still has one. For one, the land line recieves way better connection than that of cell phones in certain areas especially if your carrier is Sprint or T-Mobile but as Mr. Hill said, I give it about 15 years. Once mobile phones are able to adequately give people connection just about everywhere, land lines will be completely obsolete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although technology is improving everday I still believe every housle should have a land line. Being that I am from Miami, a big city where a mobile device would be better I have had the pleasure of living in the rural area of south georgia where internet conection does not exist. Living in Metter, Ga for the past six years has reall opened my eyes to many things. One of the main reasons I hate going home to visit is the internet connection. I would always inform my friends of the problem but they recently had the chance to see first hand. On way our way to Miami for spring break we stopped by my parents house. Because my parents live outside the city limit everyones' phone signal dropped right as we were on the way to my house. Due to this problem we only stayed a few hours instead of overnight. Becuase of this I think landlines should stay around unless you live in a big city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article is very interesting because it just shows how technology is improving. I feel that it is so much more convenient to walk around with smartphones than using old fashion cord and cordless phones. As technology continues to improve I wonder what will be the next old fashion thing to be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first thing that comes to mind when reading this article is RELEVENT. The transformation from land phones to strictly cell phones is happening right now. As college students we only have cell phones in our room. This is our primary method of communication between each other. I believe that one day cell phones or personal phones will replace land phones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do agree that land lines are becoming obsolete in todays 21st century where internet, social media and cell phones are doing a much more efficient job at keeping people connected, especially people on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Land lines are definitely becoming obsolete. Pay phones are another form of communication that has become obsolete. I find it amazing how when a new trend takes over, every one else will soon adopt to it. Landlines used to be big, until cell phone companies started investing so much in the smart phones. The mobility of a cell phone is the reason land lines and pay phones are becoming obsolete. A cell phone is easier to keep, and store information. It doesn't make sense to pay a cell phone and a land line bill if you mostly use your cell phone. Today's lifestyle is all about convenience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree that land lines are completely becoming obsolete in the twenty-first century where the world is consistently evolving into a digital age as the airwaves are becoming a more common channel of communicating and conducting business in majority of the systems within out society.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must say, I completely agree with the posting above. In my own personal household, we still have a landline phone, however it is never answered. If a person calls our house phone, that leads the people in my family to believe the person does not know us well enough to have our cell phone number -- there in meaning it must be a 1-800 phone number. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years people just use the internet for communication, however until that time, I am perfectly content send text messages and making phone calls from my cellular device.

    ReplyDelete