Classes are over















NEXT CLASS

Semester Over
It was Fun and I hope
you learned something
in this class. Review this blog in 2033
and see if we were right.


Sunday, March 31, 2013

Google Glass: The Next Big Thing or The Next Big Flop?



 BY: Travon Epps


With smart phones and tablets becoming more and more innovative each year, many of us could ask the simple question: What could possibly become the next big thing? While it seems like something out of a Science Fiction movie, Google believes that its latest project will be indeed the next big thing. Google glass, are smart glasses that can be used for GPS Navigation, photography, video chat and web browsing. These smart glasses are still being tested by developers around the world and will have a retail price of about $1,500.


            Everything about these glasses are innovative, from its sleek design all the way down to its voice recognition capabilities, which will be very good for multitasking and capturing things at a moments notice. Upon doing more research I found a few things that might cause some people to worry about this product. Mark Hurst, founder of Creative Good and a former InfoWorld ‘Netrepreneur of the Year pointed out what could possibly be a huge privacy issue. In his article he writes,

“First, take the video feeds from every Google Glass headset, worn by users worldwide... Now add in facial recognition and the identity database that Google is building within Google Plus...Finally, consider the speech-to-text software that Google already employs... Any audio in a video could, technically speaking, be converted to text. Anything you say within earshot could be recorded, associated with the text, and tagged to your online identity. And stored in Google’s search index. Permanently. Starting today, anywhere you go within range of a Google Glass device, everything you do could be recorded and uploaded to Google’s cloud, and stored there for the rest of your life, You won’t know if you’re being recorded or not; and even if you do, you’ll have no way to stop it.”



After reading that article I think that the two main reasons why Google Glasses might not perform at its potential is because of its steep price and the privacy issues. If Google can find a way to convince customers that their privacy will not be in jeopardy I think this product can be successful. Also if they lower the price to about the price of a smartphone I think this product could definitely be the next big thing.

11 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the Google glasses. Since taking this class I have embraced the fact that change is the inevitable, and technology is and forever will be the driving force of change. So, like most technological advancements, it will take time for people to embrace this innovation, but eventually they will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Mr. Medley. This class had also kept me interested in all the new forms of technology available in the world. The google glasses is another example of how innovation never sleeps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now, obviously the price is too high for many Americans to even consider. I think this could be the begining of something or some concept, but I believe Americans in general will have a hard time accepting the glasses as a standard device to check email or take video. Also, there are legal considerations that need to be taken into account. Will the glasses be subject to current videography laws or will there need to be new legislation? Will it be legal to drive and wear the glasses or could they be considered an impairment to one's ability to drive? I have copied and pasted a link below discussing the legality of the use of Google Glasses while driving in West Virginia.

    Link: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/google-glass-gets-potential-legal-roadblock-in-west-virginia/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I do believe that this is a great step for technology, I do not hope that this becomes a very popular product. Technological advancement is a great thing, but I hate to see technology being used in unnecessary ways. This is because I believe that the recent technological advancements has made our society lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about these glasses a couple months ago. They are a very interesting bundle and are defeintly the new great "nerd" project to follow from blog to blog. I think we are looking at the great new innovation even if it is not the glasses themselves. The network and operating system that must be employed will probably be just as innovative.

    On the topic of price, any new technology is going to cost an arm and a leg at the start. It won't be until Google can mass produce the glasses using cheaper materials that the price will decrease. At this point, I would really just call it consumer friendly R&D.

    About a year ago I came across a video with technology very similar to Google Glasses on a TED Talk. I looked it up again to cross reference and the video was actually posted in Nov. of 2009. I will provide the link below for those curious.

    http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsense_technology.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting post on a new product entering the market. weather or not it will be a successful product will be entirely up to the consumer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read about these Google glasses a couple weeks ago. I feel like this product will not do well until Google evolves the product to possibly being able to create phone calls, text messages, and maybe even being voice activated. That is the only way i would pay $1,500 and maybe even more. I do like the concept of google glasses though, very innovative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To me, Google Glasses will be the next bluetooth headset. It will be ubiquitous for a few months to a year, and then all but disappear, because there isn't enough demand for it. These glasses will destroy any semblance of physical communication between people. There will be no reason to ever pay attention to anything or anyone ever again. Also, the price is really steep. You could buy a physical computer (or two), which will have more capabilities, although the glasses are slightly more subtle. And what happens when someone doesn't actually need glasses? then they are simply a ridiculous fashion statement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Though the Google glasses indeed may be the next big thing technologically, it seems as though it may be too much for me. If i were to use the glasses, i would feel as though my privacy was invaded and that i would not be alone with my own thoughts without technology barging in. I hold my privacy at the utmost of standards and anything that can take a picture of what i see, or record private conversations will invade my privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is definitely a ground breaking monument within technology. Personally, I would not want to wear those glasses because you can get distracted by things working within the glasses. I am intrigued to see how it will work out as regards to safety. The longevity of the glasses will be a problem too because I feel as though Google Glasses can become a passing fad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. While this new idea does seem to be interesting, I do not like the idea of Google invading my privacy. Plus why would you want to have all of that information shoved into your face. I guess this would be good beneficial because you wouldn't have to hold any device in your hand. Its definitely an innovative idea I just don't get the point, especially for a hefty 1500$ price tag.

    ReplyDelete