Classes are over















NEXT CLASS

Semester Over
It was Fun and I hope
you learned something
in this class. Review this blog in 2033
and see if we were right.


Sunday, March 31, 2013

Google Maps vs. Apple Maps


BY: Timothy Harris


Have you ever taken a road trip with your friends and need directions? Well in the case of many Iphones users (including myself) we rely on our map feature to help guide us to our destination. In 2012 Apple decided to launch its on version of the Google Maps Application and replace the original. Following the release of this new application Apple received major backlash because of their decision to do so. Now sure Apple’s new map application came with all the bells and whistles that its predecessor had been missing. Here is a brief run down of a comparison between the two mapping applications


Left: Google Maps. Right: Apple Maps.

Cleaner design: For a company that adheres to a strict philosophy of clean and simple design, Apple Maps can actually appear somewhat cluttered next to Google's effort. While it may be helpful sometimes to know if there's a nearby Pottery Barn, in some cases all those restaurant and shop icons showing up in Apple Maps gets in the way of quickly reading street names.

Public transit directions: Google Maps includes public transit directions; Apple Maps doesn't which was a major let down for Apple users in major transit cities like New York, Chicago and D.C.

Street View: Street View maybe somewhat useless for some people but its still a cool perk for those moments when users are curious as to what their destination actually looks like before they arrive.




Left: Google Maps. Right: Apple Maps.


More efficient searches: When trying to search out the address for Mission Chinese Food, a very popular San Francisco restaurant, Google Maps figured out what I was looking for within in two clicks when I simply typed "mission chinese." Searching for the same place via Apple Maps in the same way was downright confusing. The app offered up no less than 10 different places, highlighting a different nearby restaurant instead.

Better directions. Period. Thanks to a multi-year head start, Google Maps is simply more thorough and more accurate than Apple Maps, something which has been proven time and time again. For its part, Apple recognizes it has some serious work to do: CEO Tim Cook apologized to customers via letter last September for the "frustration" experienced, and Senior Vice President Scott Forstall, the executive directly responsible for Apple Maps, was reportedly asked to resign. So until Apple catches up, Google Maps will be the go-to navigation app for many users, myself included.


Source Links:


9 comments:

  1. Before I purchased the iPhone I have now, I had an Android for about a year. I liked the Android, but I would take the iPhone any day of the week over the Android. The only thing that Android had the iPhone beat on was the maps/navigation feature, but they had them beat by a very long shot. The Android's navigation would tell you the correct traffic conditions, and would adjust accordingly as the traffic changed. The biggest thing was that the navigation would actually speak, with Apple Maps you have to look at the screen for directions, which is dangerous. Apple is taking steps to improve their maps, but I feel as if they will never be able to top the product that Google has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I agree. I can think of two distinct differences I have experienced with Apple Maps vs. Google Maps.

    1) Apple Maps will sometimes take me on a longer journey than necessary to get to my destination.

    2) Apple Maps search box is no where near as good as Google Maps as identifying what you are typing in and/or searching for.

    Also, I have provided a link below to Tim Cook's apology to customers over the Apple Maps failure.

    Link:
    http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an IPhone owner I can honestly that I say I hate the maps app that comes standard with the IPhone. Google maps is more informational, the app talks to me, and provides a precise satalite view. I am a new user of Google map app and have taken an extreme liking to it. The Google app cost just as much the Apple app, free. Google like Apple prides itself of delivering the best products for their customers and they out did Apple with this app.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a former android user/new apple user, I can firmly agree that google maps is somewhat superior to the apple map application. It is much easier to use and way more user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a current Android user I love my phone. The navigation app is honestly the greatest. I am able to avoid tolls, traffic, and get to my location with multiple routes to choose from. I am starting to play with google maps more and its getting even more advanced. Technology is really evolving right before ours eyes. Each year technology is getting more real.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a new owner of an iPhone 5. I recently downloaded the Google Maps app but have yet to really invest time in it. More often than not, I will be in a hurry and just click the Apple Maps app. This post really has made me reconsider my decision. And as many of you have poked at, the apple maps app is one of the greater downfalls of the device. So I would be crazy to continue using the inferior product right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post, helps to identify how Apple sometimes uses convince to justify inferiority

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is great insight for me. I am an owner of the Iphone 5 and have been a loyal customer for about 3 years now. I always would justify that the Apple map was superior because of it's convenience. Now, taking a look at your insights, i am more prone to downloading the google map because of the different features that it has. i will just have to learn how to navigate a new map system, which may take some time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have experienced both google maps and apple maps and I have to say that apple maps to me is better. When I bought my first android the google maps was a life saver at it got me to wherever I needed to go. However, not soon after my phone and service began having problems and google maps went from great to why is this even on my phone. So I continued to keep my android until I just could not take it anymore then I purchased my iphone recently. The same thing occurred in the beginning that happened with the android everything was fine and the apple maps had no problems nor did it ever send me to the wrong location. Now it still works very efficient and does not mess up. If anything apple maps improves with every update on my phone so I would have to say Im all for apple maps over google maps

    ReplyDelete